Is the time to take your motorcycle or moped to pass the ITV ? Do you want to have your motorcycle in the best condition to avoid an accident ? All vehicles are required to pass the ITV, and motorcycles are no exception . Depending on whether it is a motorcycle or a moped, the terms in which you must pass the ITV of your motorcycle are different. However, if your motorcycle needs an urgent repair before carrying out this procedure, and it is an unforeseen expense, one of the best options is quick online loans .
In the event that the motorcycle presents some element that has been changed, for example the exhaust and it has the corresponding approval , as a recommendation and to save you any trouble, it is best to bring the document provided by the manufacturer . Also, although insuring your motorcycle is key, the choice of insurance should not be taken lightly . For this reason, we recommend that before insuring your first motorcycle you take into account different aspects, such as the insurance coverage that you are going to hire, etc.
Index of contents
Types of motorcycles that have to pass the ITV
The Technical Vehicle Inspection (ITV) is mandatory in our country for all vehicles , including motorcycles and mopeds. In fact, Spain is a pioneer country in implementing the ITV for motorcycles and mopeds. The objective of this technical test is to guarantee the good condition of the vehicles in order to reduce as much as possible the number of traffic accidents on our roads. For this it is important that you have all its elements reviewed.
What papers should you take to carry out the ITV on a motorcycle?
Actually the requirements to pass the ITV of motorcycles or mopeds are not very different from those that are required to pass it with any other vehicle . As always, the first thing you will have to do is make an appointment in advance. Check the date on which the ITV expires, and make an appointment in advance. And the day you have to pass the inspection, do not forget the papers at home.
Now it is no longer mandatory to present the insurance receipt, since ITV centers have telematic access to check if a vehicle has compulsory insurance.
Among the documentation necessary to pass the inspection are the technical data sheet of the vehicle, better known as the ITV card, the circulation permit and the valid motorcycle insurance receipt . Actually, from the station they can access the register of insured vehicles and check if your motorcycle has insurance or not, but it is always advisable to take it just in case. Also, if you are going to pass the ITV in Catalonia, you must bring the ID of the motorcycle driver.
When should you carry out the technical inspection of a motorcycle?
Motorcycles must pass the ITV for the first time four years after their first registration. Immediately afterwards, the technical inspection will be carried out every two years . For their part, mopeds must pass the ITV three years after their first registration. From then on, they will also be reviewed every two years. Remember that the registration date is not the same as the purchase date . Of course, as happens with the rest of the vehicles, not passing the ITV or driving with said expired document supposes an economic sanction .
What is the technical inspection of motorcycles and mopeds?
If after passing the ITV the result is favorable but the motorcycle or moped has some slight defects, you will be forced to solve these defects, although you will not have to pass the technical inspection again . On the other hand, if the motorcycle or moped has serious faults, the result of the ITV will be unfavorable or negative. In both cases, you will have a period of two months to fix the defects and pass the ITV again. That is why it is important that you know what the ITV of a motorcycle and moped consists of .
- The frame number : It is checked if it has a frame number, if it is legible and matches the documentation . Also if it could have been tampered with, etc. In either case, it will be a serious defect .
- Horn or horn : That it works and that it emits a continuous , uniform sound and of sufficient intensity. Although it should be used on a few occasions, it is important that it works correctly, since it can prevent accidents .
- Front lighting : When you are going to pass the ITV of your vehicle, the technician checks the position light, dipped beam (short) and range or long. That they do not dazzle and their intensity .
- Rear lighting : As with the front lights, during the ITV they will check the position light, brake light when pressing the forward as well as the rear. They will also check the license plate light , something that we sometimes overlook.
- Turn signals : Both the left and the right, both front and rear, will be checked. Also the emergency signal or “four flashers” is optional on motorcycles and mandatory on Quads.
- Catadioptric: Many motorcycle owners do not take it into account, or do not know what it is. It is rear reflective . It is mandatory and must be approved for the motorcycle to pass the ITV safely.
- Handles : That they do their function correctly, since it is a very important element. The technician will check that they are not broken or defective .
- Tires : They will review the state of the drawing (There is no legal minimum size of the drawing for motorcycles). The tires must be the same as those indicated in the technical sheet or their equivalents.
- Fairing and rear-view mirrors : They must be approved and in good condition. The fairing of a motorcycle is the external coating that many types and models of motorcycles have, although not all.
- The seat and fenders : They must not be damaged and must have a good grip so as not to take any risk while driving or in adverse weather conditions.
- Enrollment : They will check your status. As of 06/10/2021 it will no longer be mandatory for the license plate holder or license plate to have protected edges . Their condition continues to be a serious defect and their deterioration will be looked at.
- Handlebars and kickstand: Check that it locks as an effective anti- theft measure and that it turns off the engine if a gear is engaged.
- Suspensions and brakes : In the rollers (adapted to motorcycles) they measure the braking efficiency of both the front and rear brakes, since it is one of the most important safety elements on a motorcycle.
- Exhaust System : Must be approved . They look if the motorcycle has a catalytic converter . Some motorcycles have a plate riveted to the chassis with data such as the noise level, approved emission level and if it has a catalyst
- CO gas emission : With the motorcycle idling , through a probe in the exhaust they measure the levels so that they are within the legal limits depending on whether the motorcycle is catalyzed or not.
- Noise test : The motorcycle is put at certain constant revolutions and the noise is measured with a sound level meter at a certain distance.
- Mopeds : By law, a moped cannot exceed 45 km/h . For this reason, the ITV will check it and if your moped goes over 45 km/h. It will be a reason for an unfavorable ITV.
Frequently asked questions when passing the ITV of any motorcycle
The main purpose of the ITV is to verify that your vehicle , in this case your motorcycle or moped, is in good condition . With this inspection it will be verified that it is fit to circulate and that you do not put your life or that of the rest of the passengers and road users at risk. The first thing you should be clear about is when you have to pass the ITV for the first time and how often. Next, we solve the most frequent questions when passing the ITV with your motorcycle.
How much is the ITV of the motorcycle worth?
It depends on the Autonomous Community . In the same way that it happens with the ITV of the vehicles, the price of the technical inspection of the motorcycles or mopeds varies depending on where you are. However, the average price of the ITV of these vehicles is usually 20 euros .
What motorcycles do not have to pass the technical inspection?
Those who are less than 4 years old . The same goes for 3-wheeled mopeds, quads, and quads. When this time elapses from your first registration you will have to pass the ITV for the first time. From that moment the periodicity becomes biennial. In the case of 2-wheel mopeds , vehicles with a cylinder capacity that does not exceed 50 cc, they are not obliged to pass the ITV until they are 3 years old .
What is the fine for not carrying out the technical inspection on motorcycles?
It varies depending on whether your ITV is unfavorable or negative . Circulating with a motorcycle or moped with an unfavorable or expired ITV entails a fine of 200 euros . Circulating with a motorcycle or moped whose ITV has been rejected when trying to pass it and therefore is negative, supposes an economic sanction of 500 euros .
Conclusion: Keep this information in mind to pass the ITV of your motorcycle the first time
Now that you know that your type of motorcycle is obliged to pass the ITV, the periodicity with which it will have to be done and some useful advice before going to the review, we can only remind you to be attentive to the dates on which it is your turn make said review, and have your insurance in order. It is advisable to book an appointment. The most advisable thing to pass the ITV the first time and without any problem is to keep the maintenance of the motorcycle or moped up to date. If you check the vehicle when it touches and take care of all its elements, you will not have any problem when passing this test.
Leave a Reply